Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Great Loss & A Sunny New Perspective

Life has a way of turning things upside down on you....just when everything seems to be going your way, out of no where you get blind sided by a big, fat curve ball.

My dad passed away on February 1st, the day of the big ice storm here in Dallas. It was a heart attack after falling on the ice. It happened so suddenly that it took me a month before I stopped feeling numb from it. I've never lost someone close to me like that and in such a sudden and final manner. It was like being punched in the gut.



I'm an only child and my parents are divorced, so I didn't realize how much was to come in the months following, dealing with an estate. It became my new day (and night) job, leaving little time for Urban Farmhouse.

I was hurting so badly that I had no desire to think about design or be creative. I truly wanted to curl up under the covers and stay there indefinately.

We had planned a family vacation to Destin, Florida the first week of May.  I knew I needed to take a break and get out of town. I've been to Florida several times, but never to the Gulf Shores before...and I've gotta tell ya, this was exactly what I needed to get my spirit back.

We found a great little house called "My Margaritaville" in SanDestin. It was a stones throw from the beach situated in a small, quiet pocket of vacation homes.

The view from our porch

The cheery and quirky design was a breath of fresh air at
My Margaritaville

The house was colorful, quirky, and beachy with a huge wrap around deck where we hung out everyday.

Being by the water was just the therapy I needed to start feeling like myself again. I have a strong connection to the sea and always tend to incorporate coastal undertones when working on a design project.
               My boys playing on the shore

Thank you so much for all of the amazing emails and calls!  I was so touched by the overwhelming amount of support and prayers over the last five months. It's helping my heart to heal...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...